PolyJet - Handling Waste from PolyJet 3D Printing Systems

Published 08/15/2014


During normal printing procedures, Stratasys PolyJet 3D printing systems collect partially cured polymeric waste into a leak-proof waste container.  This Tech-Tip includes general information on what you should do if the material leaks and some first aid information.

General Precautions

Partially cured and uncured PolyJet material is classified as hazardous industrial waste. Prolonged direct contact may cause skin sensitivity and an allergic reaction. Printer waste must be handled safely and disposed of in a manner that prevents contact with people and contamination of water sources.

  • Wear neoprene or nitrile gloves when handling uncured waste.  These are included in your start up kit with your 3D printer.
  • Wear safety goggles to prevent waste from splashing into your eyes, especially when removing a full waste container.


In the unlikely case that resin does spill from a waste container or other source, use neoprene or nitrile gloves and disposable towel or other absorbent material, such as sawdust or activated charcoal.  Do not allow the material to flow down a drain, as this could possibly contaminate a water system. Dispose of the absorbent material/towel in accordance with applicable environmental and safety regulations.

Do not wash contaminated clothing at home; clothing should be professionlaly laundered.  Absorbed waste material may re-expose the user when these items are worn.

First Aid

As a rule-of-thumb, try to avoid direct contact with printer waste at all times. If skin or eye contact occurs, wast the area immediately and thoroughly with COLD water, and follow these first-aid instructions.

  • Use cool water to prevent skin pores from opening.
  • Do not use solvent to clean skin.
  • If eyes or large areas of skin have been exposed or if irritation persists, seek medical attention.
  • If printing material is swallowed, the victim should drink plenty of water and immediately seek medical attention. Do not induce vomiting.